Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sleep Deprivation ... it's the Little Things

So, I just realized that the Home Tour postcard dealie is like two houses kissing.  WTF?!  Really?  Houses kissing?  That's just kind of weird.  Nonetheless, the whole deal will be done in, let's see, three sleeps.  Well, the house has to be ready before 3:00 Saturday afternoon, actually, so that's two sleeps, and the tour itself will be Sunday (like I haven't mentioned that a million times already).

So, what did I do today?  Well, Tracy called as she was on her way to BevMo! to pick up her wine and dang-it, I realized it is the 5 cent sale, so I had to get on-line tonight and place my order (just one case, this time), which I will go pick up tomorrow.  Like I've got time to do that!  But, apparently, some of us LIVE for the 5 cent sale!  Now, I and all my alcoholic friends should be set for at least a couple of weeks.

Before that, it was to Baker Nursery for veggies for the garden (it really is planting time, regardless of the coincidence of Home Tour).  Got artichokes, spinach, bib lettuce, Roma tomatoes, green onions, and chocolate mint.  I look forward to pesticide and herbicide-free produce.  Ooh, gotta remember to harvest some more of the broccoli.

So, back to the preparations.  It's not just the big stuff.  It's in the little details, too, that I hope to provide a smile or the feeling of discovery, maybe an "ah ha" kind of moment.

 
An antique cat made from crushed shells, and coasters made from woven pine needles on top of a vintage travel case.


In keeping with the Valentine's Day motif, "Cactus Heart." (Autographed, too!)


Heart-shaped Sugar Cookies.


Garlic in the herb garden.


An Ostrich Egg.  Just a Curiosity.


Stained Glass.

It's not just the house, is it?  People look at what is IN the house.  I don't know what they'll think.  I do know that the one thing a person sees when they walk into my home is books.  Every single room has books: from the bathroom to the garage; kitchen, dining, living, bedrooms - all are filled with books.  And the books are read, thumbed through, dog-eared, and shared.  Sometimes they never come back, and that's okay, too.  

Two more sleeps... I'm going to start working on one of those right now...