Monday, February 8, 2010

Five More Sleeps...

... and we'd better be ready because the pre-tour party crowd will be blasting through on Saturday afternoon (the rationale being that as we will all be tending our own homes on Tour Day, this will be our opportunity to see the rest of the homes on tour that we would otherwise be unable to view - nice, no?).  After the pre-tour, preceded by cocktails, we will imbibe food and more drink and then stagger home so we can look appropriately ghastly when we open our doors at 10:00 AM sharp the next morning.  Fabulous!

With the only major project left being the cleaning of the pond, I am down to the little details that will make it appear that real people don't actually live here.  (Just kidding.)  I need to clean the toilet and do some dusting, rake and mow the front lawn, plant a few more things in the garden.  Make sure the cat hasn't peed on anything important and prepare the super secret snack and beverage service for my volunteers (which will be in the garage and restricted to friends and family only).

It's all coming together and I'm hardly going insane at all.  At least not right at this minute.  So, it is now Sneak Peek Time:

 
Mary and Craig deliver Mary's trailer safely to the driveway beneath the rose-covered pergola.


Chaos reigns once again as I paint the front door.  It's not a real "red" but I think it is red enough to reap the benefits of feng shui.


See how nice it looks with the peep hole, plaque (National Register of Historic Places), and brass kick plate.  Verra nice!

Okay, Mom, c'mon, admit it: the utility boxes and wiring don't look half bad painted to match the trim.

 
Traffic will flow from the front door and then through the door next to the piano, into the hall to the bedrooms.  The change is the wall with the thermostat has been painted yellow.  It looked funny white.


Painstakingly scraped about a million layers of paint off the bathroom windows (yeah, I'd put the paint up there for "privacy."  Not really one of my better ideas.)  After tour I'll probably get some etching solution that will create a "frosted" appearance that will still allow light into the bathroom - or not.  I mean you pretty much have to stand in a really nasty bougainvillea with thorns over two inches long to get a good look in the bathroom.  If you're up to it and really, really want to see someone peeing, sitting on the can playing the hand-held Yahtzee, or naked in the shower and are willing to wrangle your way through the thorns, methinks you've earned a good look.  Of course, the sight might blind you but, well, it would save me some work.


Lookin' green and all wild-lifey.  I put out bird seed for my flock but they keep crapping on everything.  Normally, that's totally cool with me - I mean that's part of what puts the "wild" into "wildlife habitat."  But, dangit, right now I'm trying to keep the pillows and benches and stuff poop free for the pending tour.  And the pigeons (ahem, "rock doves"), leave some sizable nuggets behind. 

That's it, though.  No worries.  Like I said, five more sleeps and I've got two twelve-packs of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so it's all good.