Monday, March 30, 2009

Preserving the Past

We have one of those somewhat rare homes in our neighborhood in that we have retained the original floor plan. (We have the as-built architectural diagrams mounted on foam core stored in a portfolio.)

The roof is no longer the original. Not long after we moved in over eleven years ago we replaced the roof (rotting cedar shake), with fire-retardant dimensional shingles. Some doors, including the garage door, have been replaced, too. But structurally, the house stands as it did when it was built in 1941.

As I scraped paint I uncovered the original cedar gables. Starting on the south side of the garage I revealed the worst of it, I think. Blasted day after day by the relentless desert sun the wood is a bit worse for the wear but I am going to be able to salvage rather than replace it.

I discovered a "filler" product that resists shrinking and fills in the gaps and cracks beautifully. It is intended for exterior use, is sandable and paintable, and I think it will work out just fine. Some fresh nails and a bead of sealant around the edges and I will be in business.


I'm going to give it some time to fully cure and shrink and crack (although it's not supposed to), then apply additional material as needed and complete by sanding. After I've sanded I'll wash down all the work areas, apply a primer and then the "painting" part of painting will begin!