Saturday, March 21, 2009

And So, It Begins...

A list of supplies, paint chips, ideas scattered before my eyes like confetti. The task expands before me and I am fearful to begin lest I never finish. But I can and I must. The possibilities are endless and yet we come back again and again to basically the same palette. Sands, siennas, fawns... the colors of the earth.

The house is ours. Finally. And this summer I will labor in love to preserve the exterior. Sandblasted brick and a shoddy paint job completed several years ago are what I have to work with. Flaking, rotting, weathering grout and blue semi-gloss. "Professional," I have discovered, does not always mean "good."

Buckets, ladders, caulking, sandpaper, scrapers, drop clothes, filler, primer, brushes, rollers ... the list seems endless. Today I'll bake bread and then examine closely the details of my work. Mentally prepare to accept that it is going to take weeks.

The dough has risen. I'll move on for now.